[OS X TeX] Getting started with tlmgr (REVISITED)

Victor Ivrii vivrii at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 15:38:15 CET 2008

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> For downloading MacTeX, Dick Koch put together a list of CTAN http://

I am not sure that

http://mirror.csclub.uwaterloo.ca

listed there is updated in timely fashion. My impression is that

ftp://ctan.cms.math.ca/

is at least as good but both lag.

> servers that seem to update in a timely fashion. A link to the list and
> instructions for setting up tlmgr for using one of these servers for the
> tlmgr update is included in the new document. Do not click on the server
> name in that list since it will start a download of MacTeX from that server
> (after all that is why the list exists); copy the name of the server and use
> that with the instruction in the document.
>
> Please let me know of any confusion and/or problems.

There may be a little problem going from one server to another. While
packages are generally not downgraded I noticed that in dry-run both
Canadian servers want to remove tex-ewd. Reason most likely is that
until now it was the (only) orphaned package, not belonging to any
collection. Now this mistake has been fixed and it is assigned to
collection-mathextra. But mirrors do not know about this and when my
computer lists it as belonging to this collection, those servers try
to remove it. Therefore, returning to the favorite lagging mirror one
should watch update messages more closely than usual.