[OS X TeX] Getting started with tlmgr (REVISITED)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Dec 6 15:15:24 CET 2008

On Dec 5, 2008, at 11:30 PM, Axel E. Retif wrote:

> On  5 Dec, 2008, at 11:11, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Howdy,
>>
>> Since updating of CTAN servers is asynchronous it may take a day or
>> two for the server you are attached to to get a particular update.
>
> Robin Fairbairns told me in the TeX-Live mailing list to look into
> Dante's mirror monitor:
>
>> www.dante.de/mirmon is a graphical front end to the information
>> that mirror.ctan uses; mirror.ctan gives up on a site if the figure
>> in the 3rd column is worse than 48 hours -- i.e., the site has
>> missed at least two daily mirrors.
>

> Best,
>
> Axel

Howdy,

Note: I've changed the name of thread a bit but hope the thread will
remain in tact.

This message gives me an opportunity to submit an updated document for
setting up tlmgr with the MacTeX. The main difference between this
version of the document and the previous concerns using a fixed server
(at least for the update) with a small addition of instructions for
disaster recovery if the update doesn't work.

For downloading MacTeX, Dick Koch put together a list of CTAN http://
servers that seem to update in a timely fashion. A link to the list
and instructions for setting up tlmgr for using one of these servers
for the tlmgr update is included in the new document. Do not click on
the server name in that list since it will start a download of MacTeX
from that server (after all that is why the list exists); copy the
name of the server and use that with the instruction in the document.

Please let me know of any confusion and/or problems.

Once you update tlmgr my suggestion is to set up the mirror link as
the default again so that there can be load sharing. If the mirror
link keeps taking you to slow or poor servers you can always go back
to a fixed server using the instructions given.