[OS X TeX] Getting started with tlmgr

Gary L. Gray glgray at me.com
Fri Dec 5 17:22:38 CET 2008

On Dec 5, 2008, at 11:19 AM, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Dec 5, 2008, at 10:00 AM, Gary L. Gray wrote:
>

>> I just did that and it seems to be working as advertised now and a
>> LONG list of updates is available.
>>
>> Since my institution (Penn State University) has a mirror, I may
>> just point to it, though I am still figuring out how to do that. :-)
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> -- Gary
>

> Howdy,
>
> See if you can work your way to
>
> ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
>
> in your browser or ftp program. (I'm assuming that is the CTAN
> server at Penn State.) If that works try to put that in for the
> location. I'm not sure anything but http:// servers work, but it's
> worth a try.
>
> If it works please let me know.

I just tried two different addresses. The one listed at:

http://ctan.org/tex-archive/CTAN.sites

which gives:

loon:Desktop gray$ sudo tlmgr option location ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/CTAN
Password:
tlmgr: setting default installation location to ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/CTAN

loon:Desktop gray$ tlmgr update --list
tlmgr: installation location ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/CTAN
unusable location ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/CTAN/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb
, could not load any packages
Cannot load TeX Live database from ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/pub/CTAN
at /usr/texbin/tlmgr line 2110.

and the one you show above, which gives:

loon:Desktop gray$ sudo tlmgr option location ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
tlmgr: setting default installation location to ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008

loon:Desktop gray$ tlmgr update --list
tlmgr: installation location ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
unusable location ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/tlpkg/texlive.tlpdb
, could not load any packages
Cannot load TeX Live database from ftp://carroll.aset.psu.edu/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
  at /usr/texbin/tlmgr line 2110.

I wonder if this is ftp versus http related?

-- Gary