[OS X TeX] Getting started with tlmgr

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Dec 5 16:45:11 CET 2008

On Dec 5, 2008, at 9:20 AM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> Hi Herb.
>
> You didn't cause any problems for me, I did. :-)
>
> I used Migration Assistant to move to a new MacBook Pro a couple of
> weeks ago and I thought it brought TeX over perfectly since
> everything *seemed* to work. Unfortunately, I hadn't tried anything
> TeX-related in the Terminal until last night. When it didn't work, I
> wasn't sure what was happening, but it was late and I didn't want to
> wait to download 1.15 GB from home to get the MacTeX installer. I
> just downloaded it, re-installed MacTeX and all is well in the
> Terminal.

Howdy,

Unfortunately I've had problems with symlinks when using Migration
Assitant although most things are carried over amazingly well. I
always (well, I don't get new systems that often) re-install anything
that isn't in /Applications/ just to make sure it's all there.

> With that said, I just tried the tlmgr commands you posted last
> night and here is what I got:
>
> loon:Dynamics gray$ sudo tlmgr option location http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
> Password:
> Setting default installation source to http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
> !
>
> loon:Dynamics gray$ sudo tlmgr update bin-texlive texlive.infra
> update: bin-texlive (first remove old, then install new)
> remove: bin-texlive
> remove: bin-texlive.universal-darwin
> running post remove action for bin-texlive
> install: bin-texlive
> install: bin-texlive.universal-darwin
> running post install action for bin-texlive
> update: bin-texlive done
> update: texlive.infra (first remove old, then install new)
> install: texlive.infra
> running post install action for texlive.infra
> update: texlive.infra done
> running mktexlsr
> mktexlsr: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2008/../texmf-local/ls-R...
> mktexlsr: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf/ls-R...
> mktexlsr: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-config/ls-R...
> mktexlsr: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-dist/ls-R...
> mktexlsr: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-doc/ls-R...
> mktexlsr: Updating /usr/local/texlive/2008/texmf-var/ls-R...
> mktexlsr: Done.

This all looks ok!

> loon:Dynamics gray$ tlmgr update --list
> tlmgr: installation location http://mirror.unl.edu/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
> Can't locate object method "option" via package "TeXLive::TLPDB" at /
> usr/texbin/tlmgr line 1091, <RETFH> line 116086.
>
> Something went bad at the end -- do you know what that might be?
>
> All the best,
>  Gary

This sounds like a problem with one of tlmgr's modules. I think your
best bet is to use the shell script, update-tlmgr-latest.sh, you can
get from the Disaster Recovery section on <http://www.tug.org/texlive/tlmgr.html
 >. This will download and install all of the tlmgr files. If you put
it on the Desktop you should run

cd ~/Desktop
chmod a+x update-tlmgr-latest.sh
sudo ./update-tlmgr-latest.sh

and enter your admin password. There may be some prompts generated by
the script; I haven't used it. Maybe I should add a section on this to
the document.

I'm already re-writing the document so that a fixed server can be set
rather than the load sharing mirror which should be used once the
updated tlmgr is in use.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)