[OS X TeX] Getting started with tlmgr

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Dec 5 15:40:47 CET 2008

On Dec 4, 2008, at 9:51 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> On Dec 4, 2008, at 10:48 PM, Gary L. Gray wrote:
>

>> On Dec 4, 2008, at 7:54 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>>
>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> As part of TeX Live 2008 (and therefore MacTeX 2008) there is a
>>> CLI program called tlmgr which can be used to update the TeX
>>> distribution. Unfortunately the first version of tlmgr, as
>>> supplied in the present MacTeX 2008, has some bugs and needs to be
>>> updated before using it to update the distribution.
>>>
>>> Attached is a short document to get you started with tlmgr as
>>> supplied in MacTeX 2008 and BasicTeX 2008. It gives instructions
>>> for setting up and updating tlmgr and then gives a bit of
>>> information on the simplest way to get all available updates to
>>> the distribution. There is more information on use found in a
>>> document that came with MacTeX 2008 in /Applications/TeX/Utilities/.
>>>
>>> <TlmgrMacTeX.pdf>
>>
>> Thanks Herb. When I ran the first command:
>>
>> sudo tlmgr option location http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
>>
>> I got:
>>
>> sudo: tlmgr: command not found
>>
>> which is very odd since I have messed with the command before,
>> though it has been some weeks. I never did tell it to install
>> anything, but it did exist.
>
> OK, now really bad stuff is happening. When I issue:
>
> loon:Dynamics gray$ pdflatex Main.tex
>
> I get:
>
> -bash: pdflatex: command not found
>
> which is definitely new.
>
> Can someone guide me on how to recover all my TeX related commands?
>
> -- Gary

Howdy,

Now I feel terrible... I don't know what happened on your system but
it doesn't look very good.

You may try following the instructions for disaster recovery by
downloading and running the .sh script at <http://www.tug.org/texlive/tlmgr.html
 >. Outside of that it may take a re-install of MacTeX 2008.  Did you
get the TUG DVD? Then you can re-install from that.

I've been reviewing the instructions and may have a solution to the
problem although it shouldn't happen any more since things have
settled down and the servers should be in synch by now.

(herbs at wideopenwest dot com)