[OS X TeX] Getting started with tlmgr

Rene Borgella macmechanic at fastmail.fm
Fri Dec 5 05:01:12 CET 2008

Gary L. Gray wrote:

> sudo tlmgr option location
> http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008
>
> I got:
>
> sudo: tlmgr: command not found
>
> which is very odd since I have messed with the command before, though it
> has been some weeks. I never did tell it to install anything, but it did
> exist.
>
> -- Gary

This is what happened to me. I had a TeXLive 2008 and tlmgr (both gui
and command line) working well for a while. I hadn't updated anything
for a few weeks, but about a week ago everytime I tried tlmgr it either
didn't find something (a few times it seemed like the mirror I had as
the default wasn't found), or it started and choked.  I checked and
rechecked that the specified mirror was correct
<http://mirror.ctan.org/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008>

this is the one that ends up working for me:
<http://mirror.hmc.edu/ctan/systems/texlive/tlnet/2008/>

I thought it was my install (though I hadn't really messed with anything
under the hood) and re-installed TeXLive 2008 and the Tlmgr install
package.

Still broken ... then I downloaded the ''update-tlmgr-latest.sh'' and
ran that script.

NOW,  tlmgr is working beautifully from the command line and gui!

don't know why tlmgr broke, but I was starting to suspect a recent
10.5.x update.  Just a suspicion, though ...

Cheers,

Rene