[OS X TeX] tlmgr update problem

Wed Dec 3 23:23:04 CET 2008

On 03.12.2008, at 21:48, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Dec 3, 2008, at 3:30 PM, Lantz Susan wrote:
>
>> today, I should probably update tlmgr also, since I have never
>> done it.
>>
>> So, I opened the Terminal and followed the instructions on the
>> http://tug.org/texlive/tlmgr.html page.
>>
>> The results were consistent---but consistently bad. (Terminal
>> output below.) I don't understand why I can't update; I'm the only
>> user on this computer, as well as the administrator. (I should add
>> that it has been more than fifteen years since I used a Unix
>> computer, and I have undoubtedly forgotten more than I ever learnt.)
>>
>> Any suggestions?
>>
>> Susan Lantz
>

> Howdy,
>
> You must precede each command there with sudo on the Mac. Sigh...
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Hi,

you might also want to check out the X11 GUI of tlmgr.
open x11
type: xhost+
press return
open terminal
type: sudo tlmgr --gui
press return
the GUI should load and will allow you to do all the updating/
changing of settings/etc. in a graphical environment
when you are done you should probably type "xhost -" in the x11 window.

A.