[OS X TeX] problems with french accents

Luis Vitorio Cargnini lvcargnini at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 18:15:13 CET 2008

Le 08-12-01 à 11:31, Herbert Schulz a écrit :

> On Dec 1, 2008, at 9:02 AM, Luis Vitorio Cargnini wrote:

>>> Howdy,
>>>
>>> There are lots of things that have to be clarified here.
>>>
>>> Are you seeing this in your source file after saving it? That is
>>> what I've assumed with the advice I gave above.
>>>
>>> If this is in the output file we'll need a minimal, but complete
>>> (i.e. compilable) example that displays this behavior. We need to
>>> know what is in your preamble, etc., get understand this.
>>>
>>> Good Luck,
>>>
>>> Herb Schulz
>>> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)
>>>
>> Thanks everyone for the answers The code that I seeing is in the
>> generated pdf. I'm using pdflatex to generate the PDF associated
>> with TexShop. The source code is been written using LaTeX coding,
>> so everything known to anyone in the list.
>> Yes I have this option checked.
>>
>> When I write the text in this form:
>>
>> ``Une \'emotion est cr\'eatrice d'un changement d'\'etat dans le
>> monde du vivant - \'emouvoir = mettre en mouvement. Ce changement
>> est v\'ecu physiquement (manifestation de la joie, de la peur, du d
>> \'ego\^ut, de la col\`ere...). Les \'emotions prennent leur source
>> dans la r\'egion du cerveau appel\'ee amygdale, laquelle joue un r
>> \^ole cl\'e dans la r\'egulation de nos \'emotions et la m\'emoire
>> \'emotionnelle. Le d\'eclenchement \'emotionnel est quant \`a lui li
>> \'e \`a un changement dans la mani\`ere de vivre une relation ou
>> d'\^etre en relation.''
>>
>> I works but when I try the same text but writing
>>
>> Une émotion est créatice d'un changement d'état  .... du
>> dégoût .....manière
>>
>> the genereated pdf presents the UTF codes this I don't know why.
>>

> Howdy,
>
> We need a complete example file that includes the complete preamble
> for us to make sense of this.
>
> Are you using T1 encoding? Is the file saved with the proper
> encoding? Are you reading the file into TeX with the proper
> encoding? All of this is important information that we need to see
> to be of any help.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest dot com)

Ok, here follow my preamble:
\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage[francais,american]{babel}
\usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
\usepackage{lmodern}
\usepackage[square,numbers]{natbib}
\usepackage[fleqn]{amsmath} % math environments and more by the AMS
\usepackage{amsfonts}
\usepackage{amssymb}
\usepackage{latexsym}
\usepackage{mathptmx}
\usepackage{subfigure}
\usepackage{geometry}                % See geometry.pdf to learn the
layout options. There are lots.
\geometry{letterpaper}                   % ... or a4paper or a5paper
or ...
%\geometry{landscape}                % Activate for for rotated page
geometry
%\usepackage[parfill]{parskip}    % Activate to begin paragraphs with
an empty line rather than an indent
\usepackage{graphicx}
\usepackage{epstopdf}
%\usepackage{fullpage}
\usepackage{textcomp}
\usepackage[scaled=.92]{helvet}
\renewcommand*\familydefault{\sfdefault} %% Only if the base font of
the document is to be sans serif
\DeclareGraphicsRule{.tif}{png}{.png}{`convert #1 `dirname #1`/
`basename #1 .tif`.png}
% \fontfamily{phv}\selectfont
\graphicspath{{$HOME/etsmtl/docs/images/}}

I configure TexShop to use utf-8 encoding, but for example when I
paste the code here in the mail message it transforms \ to ¥, than I
have to fix it.

I supposedly saving my tex files in utf-8.