[OS X TeX] How to prevent word hyphenation or force line break in table of contents

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Sat Aug 30 22:06:51 CEST 2008

My publisher, as I imagine publishers often do, has made yet another
request that I have struggled with, and that is with regards to the
table of contents. They don't want any word breaks to occur in the
table, or for that matter section headings throughout the book in
general. In the particular case in point, the section that causes the
problem is:

\section{The Lotka-Volterra Theory for the Growth of Two Conflicting
Populations}

In the text, this gets broken nicely between Two and Conflicting. In
the table of contents however, LaTeX changes breaks the line up by
hyphenating at Pop-ulations. What I would really like to do is tell
LaTeX to break between Conflicting and Populations, but all my
numerous attempts have not succeeded.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College