[OS X TeX] Re: Chinese character subscripts in TexShop

John B. Thoo jthoo at yccd.edu
Fri Aug 22 02:14:32 CEST 2008

On Aug 21, 2008, at 12:00 PM, in macosx-tex-request at email.esm.psu.edu
"Nathaniel Pearson" <nathaniel.pearson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Working with TexShop, I'm trying to typeset a small number of Chinese
> characters as subscripts for Roman characters.  The problem of
> inputting and/or outputting Chinese characters in TexShop seems to
> have popped up often on this list and elsewhere.  I've tried in vain
> to implement various publicly posted solutions: specifying UTF-8
> encoding; invoking packages like fontspec; etc.  But no dice.
>
> I suspect that part of the problem is how I'm entering characters into
> the .tex file in the first place.  I've tried cutting and pasting in
> an already rendered character, for example, and it pastes fine into
> the input code, but is not rendered in output under any of the various
> posted methods.  Alternatively, I've tried to figure out a way to
> include the character's Unicode identifier (U-9670, fwiw), but am not
> sure how to do so or even whether that's a viable approach.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated; thanks.

Hi.  I don't know if this is of what you were thinking.  I also don't
use TeXShop.

%%%%%%% cut here %%%%%%%
\documentclass[12pt]{article}

\usepackage{amsmath,amssymb}
\usepackage{CJK}
\usepackage{pinyin}

\newcommand{\cjk}[2]{\CJKchar[Bg5]{#1}{#2}}

\begin{document}

This is a test using the CJK fonts.

\bigskip
\begin{CJK*}{Bg5}{bsmi}
\CJKtilde
\begin{tabular}{|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|c|} \hline
   \cjk{185}{115}\ or \cjk{161}{179} &
   \cjk{164}{064} &
   \cjk{164}{071} &
   \cjk{164}{084} &
   \cjk{165}{124} &
   \cjk{164}{173} &
   \cjk{164}{187} &
   \cjk{164}{067} &
   \cjk{164}{075} &
   \cjk{164}{069} &
   \cjk{164}{081} &
   \cjk{166}{202} &
   \cjk{164}{100} &
   \cjk{184}{085}\ or \cjk{201}{069} \\\hline
   \ling2 & \yi1 & \er4 & \san1 & \si4 & \wu3 & \liu4 & \qi1 & \ba1 &
\jiu3 & \shi2 & \bai3 & \qian1 & \wan4  \\\hline
\end{tabular}
\end{CJK*}

\bigskip
Subscripting Roman characters with Chinese characters.

$\text{II}_{%
   \mbox{{\scriptsize \begin{CJK*}{Bg5}{bsmi} \cjk{164}{173} \end
{CJK*}}}
}$

\end{document}

HTH.

---John.
(who reads the *digest* version of this list)