[OS X TeX] GNUPLOT on Mac

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Thu Aug 14 10:25:56 CEST 2008

Am 14.08.2008 um 06:22 schrieb Alain Schremmer:

>> It must be something that you did. You should remove this scrap.
>
> I have a copy in bin, presumably from Gnuplot-4.0.0.dmg. I also
> have a folder on my desktop, called gnuplot-4.2.3, which I
> downloaded yesterday. Presumably, I should remove 4.0.0 from bin
> but I don't know what to do with 4.2.3.

Some packages have an uninstall option. If you don't see a way for
this easy uninstall, then you can list the contents of the package's
BOM file:

	lsbom /Library/Receipts/<name>.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom

Then do in Terminal

	cd /

and with elevated privileges you can remove the files:

	sudo rm ./usr/local/<dunno>/<whatever>/<more?>

This process can be a bit improved by first invoking

	lsbom /Library/Receipts/<name>.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom | grep 100

which will show only files.

	lsbom /Library/Receipts/<name>.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom | grep 40

will only show directories. A few of them could be deleted, for
example those, that don't contain any files. To check this:

	ls -Al <such a directory's path name>

Then you can remove empty directories:

	sudo rmdir -p <such a directory's path name>

The check with ls is not really necessary. the command 'rmdir' or
'rmdir -p' will (the latter recursively) only delete directories
without file content.

The whole could be improved with:

	lsbom /Library/Receipts/<name>.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom | grep 100 |
awk '{print $1}'
	lsbom /Library/Receipts/<name>.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom | grep 40|
awk '{print $1}'

which remove somehow useless extra information from the output. Very
courageous system administrators could perform:

	sudo rm `lsbom /Library/Receipts/<name>.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom |
grep 100 | awk '{print $1}'`

which deletes all the package's files on one try, followed by

	sudo rmdir -p `/Library/Receipts/<name>.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom |
grep 40| awk '{print $1}'`

which does the same with *empty* directories.

Finally this or that preferences or RC file in home directory might
be left ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Clovis' Consideration of an Atmospheric Anomaly:
         The perversity of nature is nowhere better demonstrated
         than by the fact that, when exposed to the same atmosphere,
         bread becomes hard while crackers become soft.