[OS X TeX] Egyptian hieroglyphs and Babylonian cuneiform fonts

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Aug 12 18:08:38 CEST 2008

Am 11.08.2008 um 23:18 schrieb John B. Thoo:

> <http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/macostex-archives/2005-October/
> 018111.html>
>
> but, to be honest, I'm more than a little dumbfounded still.

This example is a bad one, since it is from a Fink TeX installation.
You should google for the general concept of font installation. It is
described in the Font Installation Guide (texdoc
fontinstallationguide) or, hopefully, still here: http://
homepage.mac.com/bkerstetter/tex/fonttutorial-current.html.

If you'll then have specific questions we might feel more motivated
to answer these then to re-write the Font Installation Guide. OTOH,
you could write a nice paper that describes how you managed to
install these fonts.

There is an alternative: XeTeX. Many ancient scripts are supported by
Unicode and so they are by XeTeX. Exception: Egyptian hieroglyphs and
old Egyptian handwriting. There is no range yet reserved for these.

--
Greetings

   Pete

We have to expect it, otherwise we would be surprised.