[OS X TeX] Egyptian hieroglyphs and Babylonian cuneiform fonts

John B. Thoo jthoo at yccd.edu
Mon Aug 11 23:18:44 CEST 2008

Hello.  I'm writing some notes on ancient Egyptian and Babylonian
numeral systems, and I would like to be able to typeset them.  I was
pointed to this Web page

<http://users.teilar.gr/~g1951d/index.html>

and it looks like "Aegyptus" and "Akkadian" have the symbols I need
(plus too much more), but I'm at a loss of how to proceed in using them.

Another lead is this article,

<http://www.tug.org/TUGboat/Articles/tb26-3/tb84wilson.pdf>

in which the last paragraph states that there are fonts I'm looking
to use in CTAN.  Popping over there, I found

fonts/archaic/hieroglf
fonts/cun

I'm using Tex Live 2007 under Mac OS 10.4.11 on my 12" PowerBook G4.
I have never installed new fonts, so the simplest directions would be
very much appreciated.  I checked the archives and found this thread

<http://tug.org/mailman/htdig/macostex-archives/2005-October/
018111.html>

but, to be honest, I'm more than a little dumbfounded still.

TIA.

---John.
(who receives the *digest* version of this list)