[OS X TeX] Installing Lucida fonts under home folder

Chris Goedde cgg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 23:32:48 CEST 2008

On Aug 5, 2008, at 2:25 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> So what I think you need is:
>
> - Put lucida.map in ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lucida/.
>
> - Run "updmap --enable Map lucida.map".
>
> To be confirmed, as I'm not using a personal TeX setup (as opposed
> to system-wide) myself.

When I do that, this is the result:

$ /usr/texbin/updmap --enable Map lucida.map
/usr/texbin/updmap: line 1300: kpsewhich: command not found
/usr/texbin/updmap: line 581: kpsewhich: command not found
updmap: config file updmap.cfg not found.

So, there's one or two problems. The first is that (for reasons I
don't understand, see my recent posts under the subject "Configuring
man pages") my paths are screwed up, and the system isn't picking up
the changes made in /etc/path.d and /etc/manpath.d. Does anyone have
some insight on that? That's why updmap can't find kpsewhich. I'm not
sure if that's the reason that updmap.cfg can't be found.

> That said, I'm a bit surprised by your description: I would have
> thought customizing a software (as, in this case, adding support for
> the Lucida fonts) is precisely the thing you would do in the admin
> account, before returning to the non-admin account for daily work.
> Unless, of course, you want first to experiment and test things in
> your non-admin account, before installing them system-wide.

I'm not installing the fonts system-wide, just in my home directory. I
put my home directory on a separate partition, and I'm hoping that if
I can get the fonts installed there that it will save me this hassle
the next time I migrate my machine or if I have to reinstall Mac OS X.

Chris