[OS X TeX] Installing Lucida fonts under home folder

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at me.com
Tue Aug 5 21:25:19 CEST 2008

Le 5 août 08 à 20:41, Chris Goedde a écrit :

> (1) My account isn't an admin account, and it's not on the sudo
> list. Is there a way to do this that doesn't involve sudo? (I am the
> admin for the machine. It's just that the account I use on a daily
> basis isn't an admin account.)
>
> (2) Where will the map files go? I'd like to have _everything_
> related to this end up under ~/Library/texmf, if possible. Is that
> what will happen if I run "sudo updmap-sys --enable Map lucida.map"?
> If not, is there a way to set up TeX so that all the lucida-enabling
> bits live under ~/Library/texmf?

Given your account is non-admin, you need a configuration which reads
input from and writes output to your home directory. So:

- "sudo updmap-sys -H", which read from and writes to /usr/local/
texlive/, is out.

- "sudo updmap-sys", which reads from ~/Library/texmf/ and
~/.texlive<year>/ and writes to /usr/local/texlive/, is out.

- updmap, which reads from ~/Library/texmf/ and ~/.texlive<year>/ and
writes to ~/.texlive<year>/, gets in.

(Pete, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

So what I think you need is:

- Put lucida.map in ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/dvips/lucida/.

- Run "updmap --enable Map lucida.map".

To be confirmed, as I'm not using a personal TeX setup (as opposed to
system-wide) myself.

That said, I'm a bit surprised by your description: I would have
thought customizing a software (as, in this case, adding support for
the Lucida fonts) is precisely the thing you would do in the admin
account, before returning to the non-admin account for daily work.
Unless, of course, you want first to experiment and test things in
your non-admin account, before installing them system-wide.

Bruno