[OS X TeX] Configuring man pages

Dr. Clea F. Rees cfrees at imapmail.org
Tue Aug 5 00:09:50 CEST 2008

Just to get "man ..." to work, add /Library/TeX/Root/texmf/doc/man to
your MANPATH. In bash:
export MANPATH=${MANPATH}:/Library/TeX/Root/texmf/doc/man
for example. Adding it to ~/.bash_profile will mean it is added
automatically each time.

If you also want apropos to work, you need to create a whatis database
in the directory or ensure that the so-called "cron" job which updates
these includes the relevant directory.

This should be "future-proof" provided future versions of texlive use
the same directory structure - by using the link in /Library, you
ensure it will work for e.g. texlive 2008 if that is arranged in the
same way as texlive 2007.

- cfr

On 04/08/08, you seem to have written: