[OS X TeX] Footnote appearing on subsequent page

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 08:52:59 CEST 2008

On Aug 4, 2008, at 2:30 AM, Axel E. Retif wrote:

> On  3 Aug, 2008, at 12:04, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>
>> I am working on an upcoming book, and the editor pointed out a
>> peculiar problem with footnotes. In a particular chapter, the
>> following happens:
>>
>> A footnote reference appears at the top of a page (say page 52).
>> No other footnote references appear on the same page.
>> The next page (53) contains figures. Two figures are involved, one
>> appearing later in the text than the footnote of page 52. The
>> other shortly following it.
>> The actual footnote referenced in page 52 appears in page 54, the
>> page following the figures, along with another footnote referenced
>> on page 54.
>
> If the reference appears at the *top* of page 52, then obviously
> the note should appear at the *bottom* of page 52; so as you and
> Alan Munn say, that's a bug. Besides Alan's references, I would
> like to point you to a conference David Kastrup gave in BachoTeX
> 2008, ``Beauty and the beast – Design and implementation notes for
> ‘bigfoot’'', in which he mentions some bugs in LaTeX footnote
> placements:
>
> http://www.river-valley.tv/conferences/bachotex2008/

Thank you both. I will check these links, mostly for my own
enlightenment. For the moment, I broke the last paragraph of that
page in two paragraphs, and that fixed it for some mysterious reason.
At the same time, the footnote of page 54 and its reference were both
moved to the next page. It's unfortunate to see this bug still present.

> Best,
>
> Axel

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College