[OS X TeX] Footnote appearing on subsequent page

Axel E. Retif axel.retif at mac.com
Mon Aug 4 08:30:32 CEST 2008

On  3 Aug, 2008, at 12:04, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> I am working on an upcoming book, and the editor pointed out a
> peculiar problem with footnotes. In a particular chapter, the
> following happens:
>
> A footnote reference appears at the top of a page (say page 52).
> No other footnote references appear on the same page.
> The next page (53) contains figures. Two figures are involved, one
> appearing later in the text than the footnote of page 52. The other
> shortly following it.
> The actual footnote referenced in page 52 appears in page 54, the
> page following the figures, along with another footnote referenced
> on page 54.

If the reference appears at the *top* of page 52, then obviously the
note should appear at the *bottom* of page 52; so as you and Alan Munn
say, that's a bug. Besides Alan's references, I would like to point
you to a conference David Kastrup gave in BachoTeX 2008, ``Beauty and
the beast – Design and implementation notes for ‘bigfoot’'', in which
he mentions some bugs in LaTeX footnote placements:

http://www.river-valley.tv/conferences/bachotex2008/

Best,

Axel