[OS X TeX] User Friendly LaTeX to HTML Converter?

Jens Noeckel noeckel at uoregon.edu
Mon Apr 28 23:37:19 CEST 2008

On Apr 28, 2008, at 2:08 PM, Richard J Benish wrote:

>> You haven't really said what you're trying to accomplish. Maybe if
>> you gave us some idea of what you're trying to do, someone could
>> suggest some alternatives.
>
> At the beginning of the initial thread (LaTeX2html Basics?)
> concerning this topic I mentioned my desire to convert portions of
> a long paper to html. (That thread digressed a bit, so I started a
> new one.)
>
> I should add that I am especially concerned about having the
> equations come out looking good -- both inline equations (and math-
> related symbols, etc.) and display equations.
>
> SimpleTeX4ht did a decent job of converting the text part to html,
> but left the equations as question marks. One correspondent, who
> appeared to be much more savvy than I, mentioned that he also had
> to struggle to get SimpleTeX4ht to work properly. He recognized the
> symptoms, but could not remember the fix.
>
> Richard Koch has kindly recommended a way to basically start over
> with a new install of TeXShop and SimpleTeX4ht, that sounds like it
> should work. But I have a slow internet connection, so I'd have to
> use a friend's machine to download the latest version, etc...
> Inconvenient, but perhaps this is my best option.
>
> Grateful for all the help.
>
> Richard Benish

I don't know if this is of use, but you asked for commercial
alternatives:
To convert existing LaTeX to HTML, I think tex4ht is by far the best
free option, and probably Mathematica the best non-free option.
Neither of these are trivial, and both require some tweaking. But
I've gotten nice results with both. Mathematica 6 is expensive if
you're not at an institution with a site license. But it can import
complete LaTeX documents (though it sometimes also requires cleanup
of the LaTeX source first). AMS-LaTeX equations are no problem for
Mathematica, and once you've read everything in, it can be exported
in a variety of formats, including HTML or MathML. When you're done
exporting to HTML, it will almost certainly be necessary to edit the
accompanying CSS style sheet to get the appearance you want. But
that's the nature of HTML/CSS, and it's not a huge complication.

Jens