[OS X TeX] Installing TeX for 1st Time

Paul Hagstrom hagstrom at bu.edu
Mon Apr 21 05:33:26 CEST 2008

Hi -- I'm somewhat new to TeX, but from what I know so far, I do not
see any advantage of starting anywhere but here:

http://www.tug.org/mactex/

 From this site, you can download a very complete distribution of TeX
(TeXLive-2007) that is installable using the standard Mac installer.
It is extremely painless.

Once you get more sophisticated in your dealings with TeX, you may
want to use a package that is not included in that distribution -- if
you do, just download it and put the package in the appropriate place
in the folder texmf, found within the Library folder in your home
directory, and it will become accessible.  (The "appropriate place"
may vary, but is likely to be texmf/tex/latex if it is a package file
ending in .sty).

I'm not sure what you mean by it looking like TeX is already on the
machine -- it shouldn't be, if this is essentially a new MacBook Pro.
But, installation of TeX can be relatively nightmarish if done
incorrectly, which is why I am so impressed by the MacTeX package.  I
would say your best bet is to ignore anything that makes you think TeX
is somewhere on the machine and just run the MacTeX installer.  (It is
huge, but worth it.)

You might want to also download the Beamer patch from here, after
you've installed the main MacTeX package.

http://www.tug.org/mactex/morepackages.html

I think beyond that, you'll just need to play with it a bit.  But,
look around at the TeXShop site -- this is almost certainly the front
end to TeX that you'll want to start with, even if later you decide to
head to one of the others.

http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/texshop.html

The other place to look at is CTAN, which is the standard repository
for TeX packages (things that can extend TeX to add functionality).  A
great many of these packages will already be installed for you by the
MacTeX installer, but for anything you're missing, this is a good
place to search.

http://www.ctan.org/

  -Paul