[OS X TeX] Installing TeX for 1st Time

Thomas Rike tricycle222 at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 21 05:15:16 CEST 2008

Dear Ron,

On Apr 20, 2008, at 5:43 PM, Ron Olson wrote:

> I got a new Mac and am trying to install TeX on my new MacBookPro.
> I didn't know there were so many versions of TeX.  It looks like the
> TeX software is already on this machine and am trying to figure how
> to install it.

If you just got a new MacBookPro then I doubt that you already have
the TeX software on the machine. You need to download it.

> So, my first question is which TeX do I install?

Go to this site and download The MacTeX-2007 Package

http://www.tug.org/mactex/

Installation is almost automatic.
After the installation, open TeXShop and try a minimal program. Use
the Help menu and use the tutorials to get up to speed. If you get
stuck, then try to get some answers from this forum. There are experts
of all levels here. (I am only a user.)

HTH, Tom Rike