[OS X TeX] pagebreak within a paragraph in a twocolumn setup

Reich Ingo ireich at online.de
Sat Apr 19 11:33:27 CEST 2008

Hi everybody,
I'd like to set text in two essentially independent columns:

_________    _______________________
|                   |
|                                                    |
|                   |
|                                                    |
|                   |
|                                                    |
|                   |
|                                                    |
|                   |
|                                                    |
|                   |    |  text text  text  text  text  text   |
pagebreak
|                   |    |  text  text  text  text  text  text  |
|                   |
|                                                    |
|                   |
|                                                    |

This probably could be done easily in some kind of tabular or two
minipage environments.  But there are two complications:

1. Suppose there is a long paragraph in one of the columns which is
too long to fit on the page. Then, what I'd like to have, is an
automatic pagebreak *within* the paragraph, i.e. (i) fill the page
with the first part of the paragraph, then continue on the next page
with the rest of the paragraph in twocolumn mode.

2. I'd like to have different background colors for the two colums
(also extending across the page).

I know that supertabular or xtab allows for pagebreaks within
tabulars, but only between two rows. What I rather need is a break
within a cell.

So, does anybody know some way to have an automatic pagebreak within a
tabular cell or whithin a minipage environment? Or is there some
alternative? (I tried the context paragraph setting, which is nice,
but also puts the whole paragraph on the next page. Anyway, I'd rather
stick to standard latex.)

Any ideas?
Best, Ingo