[OS X TeX] The Font Cache Problem

William Adams will.adams at frycomm.com
Mon Apr 14 21:14:30 CEST 2008

On Apr 14, 2008, at 3:58 AM, Martin Berggren wrote:

> I have had font problems of the sort that you described (which is
> separate from the printing bug I mailed about some week ago). I am
> running Leopard. I have Word 2008, which is not running under
> Rosetta, right? (Besides, I never use Equation Editor.)  Could it be
> that it is Illustrator that causes the problem? I am running
> Illustrator CS3 which is "universal" or whatever it's called.
> Nevertheless, the problem seem to appear when I am using Illustrator

It's unfortunate, but font cache corruption is a fact-of-life in Mac
OS X, save for the simplest of setups, w/ minimal system-only font sets.

FontNuke.app is a nice free utility for doing this --- just do it
everytime you're rebooting for an application having crashed and it'll
cut down on such issues tremendously.

I'd be inclined to agree w/ Richard's theory on apps running under
Rosetta causing this problem, since all it'd take to corrupt the cache
is one failure to swap endian-ness.

William

--
William Adams