Re: [OS X TeX] Re: ``/usr/texbin/pdflatex´´ does not exist

Joseph C. Slater PE, PhD joseph.slater at wright.edu
Fri Apr 11 18:55:58 CEST 2008

On Apr 11, 2008, at 11:44 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

> On Apr 11, 2008, at 10:56 AM, M A wrote:
>
>> installing the tex distribution pane
>> stuff may also go against the philosophy of trying to keep macports
>> as
>> self-contained as possible
>> and trying to avoid installing things outside of /opt/local.
>
> Now here I must protest loudly:
>
> As I think many people on this list know, I am prototypically
> install-challenged. As such,
>
> I will have no truck with anything about paths, etc as I have an
> abject fear of the terminal.
>
> But I do very occasionally go into preferences because every one
> knows that, there, everything is reversible, one cannot cause a
> disaster.
>
> So, and even though I have only TeX installation, and the very
> minimal one, namely Wierda's one, and no intention to change, I have
> absolutely no problem having TeX Distribution among my System
> Preferences.
>
> In fact, knowing that, should I have trouble with my current
> installation, I could try another one without getting rid of this
> one gives me a good feeling.
>
> So, let's drink to the philosophers who say "let them have choice".
> Any other "philosophy" in this regards implies that people are
> idiots and/or that someone "knows better and is thus entitled to run
> your life"
>
> Regards
> --schremmer
>
> P.S. Sorry for the outburst but I do mean it.

The folks at/with macports are under no obligation to change
philosophy, as it is purely a volunteer effort. I'm confused as to how
you can protest that they don't solve the compatibility issue. They
could equally protest that you aren't fixing it either. I think I'll
protest that you haven't written the code to allow TeXShop to handle
colons in path definitions in the preferences yet. It's Friday, so I
guess I should have something to look forward to this weekend. Good
luck coding.
Joe