[OS X TeX] Setting up dissertation text

Salvatore Enrico Indiogine hindiogine at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 00:00:58 CEST 2008

Brian:

On 08/04/2008, brian at pongonova.net <brian at pongonova.net> wrote:
> Don't be so sure of this :)  I had to fight very hard to have my
>  committee accept PDF files generated via LaTeX (I'm working on my EdD,
>  and the education folks simply did not have the slightest clue of what
>  I wanted to do, even after explaining it to them several
>  times...they typical response was "What?  No Microsoft Word? How can
>  you possibly write a dissertation without Word?")

I am in the College of Education and I feel your pain.  Using
spreadsheets is advanced here, and if you have a Mac then you are
super-advanced.  The IT people here only support XP and lock the
machines down so much that they are worthless.  Unless you use Word,
that is.

They use Word for everything, and I mean everything. They even embed
images in Word and the send it as attachment instead of just attaching
the image file!

Ciao,
Enrico

--