[OS X TeX] Setting up dissertation text

brian at pongonova.net brian at pongonova.net
Tue Apr 8 20:46:37 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 08, 2008 at 10:34:24AM -0400, Toke Lindegaard Knudsen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This does not relate to TeX on Mac specifically, but I am hoping that
> someone might be able to offer me a hint.
>
> I am handing in my dissertation soon, and the following rules have to
> be followed:

Toke--

I, too, am writing my dissertation using LaTeX.  Fortunately, our
school uses APA for everything, so as long as we follow the handbook,
we're OK.  That said, I found it *much* easier to find a dissertation
template from another school and modify that, rather than going at
this from scratch.  So if the Brown template doesn't work for you
(which seems somewaht silly if it's the template your school uses),
search for others.

LaTeX has a lot of oddities, and there is simply not enough time for
most people to learn everything in the short amount of time available
for writing and defending a dissertation.  So, use a template
developed by someone who *does* know what they're doing, and just find
the pertinent commands and modify accordingly.

BTW, if you are by chance using APA style for references, apacite
works great for dissertations despite the warnings to the contrary.

  --Brian