[OS X TeX] IEEE pdf checker

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Apr 8 18:55:36 CEST 2008

On Apr 8, 2008, at 11:25 AM, Bridget Kane wrote:
> Hi
>
> When I generate my pdf with typesetting options set to Latex default
> and 'Tex + Ghostscript', the pdf generated doesn't pass the IEEE pdf
> checker. The error messages I get are:
>
> Acrobat version is less than 5.0
> ✘? Error Font Times-Bold is not embedded
> ✘? Error Font Times-Roman is not embedded
> ✘? Error Font Times-Italic is not embedded
> ✘? Error Font Helvetica-Bold is not embedded
>

> When I change setting to Tex (default) and Tex + Ghostscript, it
> still doesn't pass the checker. The errors with this option are the
> same.
>
> I'm using Mac OS 10.4.11 and Texshop Version 2.14-svn (2.14)
>
> Any advice would be appreciated
>
> Bridget

Howdy,

What TeX distribution are you using? If MacTeX:

In Terminal run

sudo -H updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --setoption dvipsDownloadBase35
true

tells updmap to set dvips to include the Base 35 Type One Fonts. You
might also want to do

sudo -H updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --setoption pdftexDownloadBase14
true

and

sudo -H updmap-sys --nohash --nomkmap --setoption
dvipdfmDownloadBase14 true

for pdftex and (x)dvipdfm(x) respectivley.

Finally, have updmap update your map files by running

sudo -H updmap-sys

and then the base 35/14 (different way of counting the base fonts)
should be included in the documents.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)