[OS X TeX] compiling miktex tools

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Apr 7 14:24:11 CEST 2008

On 7 avr. 08, at 13:52, Alex Hamann wrote:

> was anybody capable of compiling the latest miktex tools for unix?
> My make failed with miktex-2.7.2960 under Tiger 10.4.11, cmake 2.4.8
> and libcurl 7.18.0

Before people invest too much time attempting to mix mpm with MacTeX:
mpm (MikTeX's Package Manager) isn't intended to work with TeXLive and
in the long run may cause inconsistencies inside a TeXlive
installation, depending on where you instruct it to put updated
packages (say /usr/local/texlive/2007/texmf-dist, or /usr/local/
texlive/texmf-local, or ~/Library/texmf), with updates to TeXLive
replacing or not the package updates installed by mpm.

In email exchanges on the MacTeX mailing list, Karl Berry, one of the
chief TeXLive architects, has advocated several times against mixing
mpm with TeXLive. Actually, the TeXLive team has been working on a new
infrastructure and tool to make interim package updates for TeXLive,
pretty much the same way as mpm does but compatible with TeXLive. The
work isn't finished yet, but it's hoped to be in place for this year's
TeXLive release (whenever that might be).

An overview of this work may be found at

http://tug.org/svn/texlive/trunk/Master/tlpkg/doc/tlinfra-guit07.pdf

Bruno Voisin