[OS X TeX] Re: Some thoughts about editors

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Sep 25 00:22:43 CEST 2007

On Sep 24, 2007, at 4:54 PM, Daniel Culver wrote:

> On Sep 24, 2007, at 2:01 PM, Herbert Schulz wrote:
>
>> and then press the Esc key to get
>>
>> \frac{|}{•}
>>
>> where | is the insertion point (cursor). Then I use Ctl-Cmd-F and
>> jump to the • (called a Mark or Place Holder). I could add another
>> • at the end but since that's a single } to jump over it's just as
>> easy to use the ->, etc.
>
> Herb,
> I have the latest TexShop and in using the completion file the only
> way I seem to get an insertion point is to use - #INS#. I tried
> the- | symbol (is this the same as used to pipe an .app for a
> printer?) and don't get an insertion point. I don't seem to have a
> key stroke that is a place holder or mark symbol. I use the command
> completion all the time thanks to your hints on this forum and I
> haven't used Alpha X very much since. The one feature I really
> liked about Alpha X is the menu that shows packages. I can see my
> entire folders of style and class packages making it easier
> remembering which one I wanted. I recently have gotten in the habit
> of leaving my latex folder in my side bar and just haven't been
> using Alpha since.
> My biggest desire for the completion file would be to have many
> different completion files with the ability to select and tie one
> to a specific document.

Howdy,

I was trying to ``represent'' the cursor position (that is set by
using #INS# in the CommandCompletion.txt file) in the source file.

I guess I tend to use the same commands over and over so a single
file hasn't gotten in the way. Completions and abbreviations fo
special commands that I've created for my exams, etc., are placed
near the top of my personal CommandCompletion.txt file. I also use
pretty much the same packages over and over so I have a template that
has all the \usepackage{...} commands which I can comment out or
delete in a particular case.

What would be nice is having a different CommandCompletion.txt file
for ConTeXt that could automatically be used if the context engine is
chosen in the `%!TEX TS-program' line. I don't use ConTeXt but there
certainly are folks on the list who do.

Total Side Comment: Don't know if folks noticed it but the Source-
 >Comment/Uncomment commands in TeXShop 2.14 work no matter where the
cursor is on the line.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)