[OS X TeX] MusiXTeX

Morten Høgholm morten.hoegholm at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 18:42:24 CEST 2007

On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 14:26:47 +0200, Dave Murray-Rust wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to use musixtex to include small excerpts of music in a large
> document. However, I get the dreaded 'No room for a new \dimen' message;
> I thought that texlive used elatex, and hence should be immune from this
> problem?

\usepackage{etex}

The macros \newdimen and friends have the limit built-in to give a
comprehensible error message. Otherwise you'd get something like
*\dimendef\test=256
! Bad register code (256).
<*> \dimendef\test=256

etex.sty raises the limit to what is offered by the engine.

btw: "No room for a new \dimen" gives me the FAQ answer as the first hit
on Google. It offers some additional information.
--
Morten