[OS X TeX] Figures in Mac tex

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 13 22:34:01 CEST 2007

On Sep 13, 2007, at 21:37, Ali Tahzibi wrote:

> Dear Mac tex comunity,
>
> I am new in mac tex and can not use psfrag command in tex shop. The
> problem is that my figures contain mathematical expressions which
> appear
> correctly in .eps file (I can verify it in my windows pc) and not
> correctly in .pdf and  mac tex uses the .pdf version of the figure to
> insert in my article. How to solve this problem?

Afraid of the command-line? If not, the following might work:

1) make a latex file which contains only the eps + command for
psfrag. No other output, suppress page numbers. The rest here assumes
that this file is called file.tex, replace below as needed.
2) from the terminal, run latex, dvips and epstopdf:

  latex file
  dvips -Ppdf -E -o file.eps file.dvi
  epstopdf file.eps

3) you now have a pdf file (and an eps file for that matter), where
all psfrag commands have been processed, and which can be used as a
standard figure (including submission to a journal for publication,
most of the time).

The other solution is to use the "TeX and Ghostscript" method in
TeXShop (see preferences or typeset menu). This will use the
traditional latex + dvips + ps2pdf route, making texshop compatible
with psfrag and pstricks.

Maarten