[OS X TeX] Textures (Universal binary) is now in beta

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Sep 4 21:39:13 CEST 2007

Le 4 sept. 07 à 20:37, Frank STENGEL a écrit :

> Why not use Textures with TeXShop as an external editor? Every time
> you save the document, it is typeset with textures. I concede it is
> not as nice as Flash, but at least you have all the niceties of
> TeXShop's editor (wrapping, syntax colouring, spell checking etc)
> combined with Texture's speed.

You're certainly right.

It's actually a matter of taste: for the sake of GUI consistency, I
prefer one single integrated application to several smaller
applications cooperating with each other. TeXShop does a very good
job in this respect, by hiding completely from the user the fact that
it is calling several separate applications behind the scene (pdftex,
dvips, gs, xetex, xdv2pdf, xdvipdfmx, ...), and providing a single
integrated front-end to all of them; and TeXShop's GUI is indeed
quite close to that of Classic Textures.

But, for this very same reason, when using Textures or TeXShop, it
seems more natural to use either one or the other for everything
(editing, typesetting, previewing, printing). That's why, as a
Textures then TeXShop user, I've never considered external editors
seriously. Probably that attitude goes back to my original first
experience of computer use, which for several months was with the
original Mac OS Finder (meaning only one application opened at any
given time), before MultiFinder was invented (meaning several
applications opened simultaneously).

Bruno Voisin