[OS X TeX] newbie question on fonts motivated by LaTeXiT

Jens Noeckel noeckel at uoregon.edu
Sat Oct 27 04:14:58 CEST 2007

On Oct 26, 2007, at 7:05 PM, Richard Koch wrote:

> Dan,
>
> Let me reply to a little of your message.
>
> Since essentially the beginning of Mac OS X, the standard TeX
> distribution on the system was Gerben Wierda's redistribution of
> teTeX, and later his gwTeX. Gerben modified /etc/profile and /etc/
> csh.cshrc to add the TeX binary path to the end of the path
> variable. It is useful to remember that a large number of TeX users
> on the Mac are not familiar with Unix and paths. Gerben took care
> of paths for them.
>
> Later when MacTeX was introduced, Gerben's scripts were used
> without modification. Thus MacTeX and i-Installer handled paths in
> exactly the same way. In my opinion, it would have been
> irresponsible to invent a different, and incompatible, technique.
>
> The scripts ARE idempotent. That is why the lines "do not remove
> the previous line" and "do not remove the next line" are present.
> I'm surprised that your found the above section repeated three
> times; during the construction of MacTeX I tend to rerun the
> scripts again and again and have never seen a repetition.
>
> When you type
>
> 	which xdv2pdf
>
> does the system find /usr/texbin/xdv2pdf or does it find a copy in /
> sw/bin. It looks like it finds the version in /sw/bin. One way to
> solve this problem would be to modify your path, making sure that /
> usr/texbin comes earlier than /sw/bin.
>
> Dick
> koch at math.uoregon.edu

Hi,

I just saw Dick's email when I was ready to send a message... here is
what I had come up with, also made in Oregon:

I have xelatex working with the most recent version of LaTeXiT, but
this is on a system without MacTeX. On that machine, I've got
everything (including xetex) installed through fink, and it "just
works". Your fink installation seems to have something wrong with it,
and I don't know what it could be.

So there could be two ways for you to proceed:

(a)
re-install tetex and xetex with fink, too. I've never used FC, but
from the command line you'd just have to do "sudo fink install xetex"
after enabling the unstable tree.

(b)
Do what Dick suggested. Or go even further: remove /sw from your
PATH. Perhaps you have a file ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
  and if you do, you could inspect it to see if it sets your PATH.
You can just edit that file in a text editor to remove instances of /
sw/* so that ideally the fink binaries shouldn't be found anymore. An
even more drastic thing to try (if the above doesn't work) would be
to simply rename the folder /sw to something else (temporarily).

Maybe this helps -
Jens