[OS X TeX] newbie question on fonts motivated by LaTeXiT

dan at geer.org dan at geer.org
Fri Oct 26 21:21:01 CEST 2007

Though a great fan of RTFM, evidently I have not
yet located the TFM to R.

While I have stored logs and all that, perhaps
this is simple (newbie-grade) enough to just
do highlights:

1. Had TeX working enough to make a large pile
of KeyNote slides with LaTeXiT figures

2. Upgraded LaTeXiT to 1.4.4 for OSX 10.3.9, and
everything broke (great cascades of error messages
all around \setromanfont and similar directives)

3. Found that i-Installer has been abandoned by
authors

4. Found that Fink Commander, which is how I got
TeX in the first place, has been abandoned by authors

5. Installed entire 1.3GB MacTeX-2007.mpkg

6. Did changes suggested in /Applications/TeX/README.rtf

7. Erased the old LaTeXiT as I now have two of them,
retaining the one under /usr/texbin that came in
with  step #5

8. Find that nothing has changed, i.e., still at
step #2 with great cascades of errors unless these
directives (from my otherwise ancient preamble) are
destroyed

  \usepackage{fontspec,xunicode}
  \setromanfont{Palatino}
  \setmathrm{Palatino}
  \fontspec{Palatino}

=== recap ===

had working environment and upgraded; unable to recover

Again, RTFM is a perfectly fine response if TFM is
named, preferably with page or heading pointer.

In gratitude,

--dan

[ one non-Mac person could not help, but did say
that the hardest thing about TeX is installation ]