[OS X TeX] LaTeX Font warnings: Font shape

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue Oct 23 13:52:08 CEST 2007

Le 23 oct. 07 à 13:17, Morten Høgholm a écrit :

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 22:43:12 +0200, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> Nothing to worry about: just ignore the warnings. These are
>> customary LaTeX useless log file verbosity. There is somewhere a
>> switch to tell LaTeX to stop producing them, I think, but I don't
>> remember what it is.
>
> I don't think this particular warning is useless at all. If I ask
> for a font combination that doesn't exist I would like to be
> informed about it.
>
> One warning that is useless and which is going to be changed in the
> upcoming LaTeX 2007 release is when a math font changes encoding.
> This happens for instance when using the fourier package.

I wasn't aware of this difference between font warnings in text mode
and math mode. Thanks for making it clear.

Generally speaking, long ago (before 1994) as a LaTeX 2.09 user I
used to read log files and fix every errors and  problems reported
(such as underfull and overfull hboxes and vboxes). Then when LaTeX
2e came around I got so fed up with the (seemingly) endless stream of
font warnings in log files that I stopped reading log files at all
and only dealt with errors interrupting the typeset process.

This also probably comes from my background as a Textures user: in
Textures, there is no distinction between log file and console
output; instead, the whole content of the log file is displayed in
the log window (otherwise similar to TeXShop's console window). It's
possible LaTeX warnings are less numerous in console output, I
stopped paying attention to console/log windows while still a
Textures user, and afterwards I never looked at the matter again.

Bruno