[OS X TeX] LaTeX Font warnings: Font shape

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 01:17:29 CEST 2007

On Oct 22, 2007, at 6:31 PM, Ross Moore wrote:

> Hi Alain,
>
> On 23/10/2007, at 7:43 AM, Alain Schremmer wrote:

>>> This simply means that the font  (lmodern roman) you chose
>>> doesn't have bold small caps, so it substituted normal shape
>>> instead.

>>> This one says that the font you chose (lmodern sans) doesn't have
>>> small caps either, and so roman was substituted here.
>
>> Thanks to your explanations, I have stopped worrying and am not
>> about to do anything.
>
> Well, that may not be the best approach.
>
> You should look through your output for places where small-caps
> was requested, but not provided properly.
>
> In particular, the first (bold) instance is giving you
> lowercase instead of small uppercase.
> Being bold, this is probably in headings or captions;
>  e.g.  the  'Figure' part at the beginning of the caption.
>
> If that is the only thing that is wrong due to this, then
> yes it is nothing to worry about, provided it still looks OK.
>

> The second instance is of sans-serif smallcaps being given
> as roman small-caps. This may well look quite bad, to have
> roman in the middle of a block of stuff that is otherwise
> sans-serif.  But more likely it is another kind of header,
> maybe in footnotes, table-of-contents, or perhaps due to
> the bibliography style.
>

> Note that the warnings occur the first time that you
> try to *use* the requested combination of font styles
> and shapes. As source line-numbers are given, you should
> be able to read from the log-file which was the data file
> being input at that point, and find the corresponding line.
> Then determine the font-switching macro that triggered the
> warning.
>
> If it is near the beginning of your document, there is a
> good chance that it happens while reading a .toc, .lof
> or .lot file, or other metadata stuff that you place
> near the front of your magnum opus, rather than amongst
> its mathematical content.
>

>> I  need a font to distinguish a certain category of terms.
>
> Maybe you have a glossary of terms, inserted near the
> beginning of the book?  Are you really getting the font
> that you wanted to use for this?

> Make use of the information that these messages provide.
> They have line-numbers. You can determine the file.
> The rest is up to you to check it out.
>

> The .log file is meant to be your friend.
> Normally it is, provided you bother to interpret the data
> that it contains.
>

>> Very grateful regards
>> --schremmer
>

> Hope this helps,

To say the least, this is a very different approach from the one I
was going to take. And a lot more work. But, as I said, I might want
to clean things up a bit before uploading. So, I think that I will
try to make a small file with a sampling of the various font shapes.

In any case, I am only working on an included file

	ChaptersEDIT/12.tex

starting with the line

	%!TEX root = ../ChaptersPRINT/12.tex

to call the special root file

	ChaptersPRINT/12.tex

to avoid having to typeset the whole book every few minutes.

So, since there is no toc, etc, just the contents, it shouldn't be
too hard.

Grateful regards
--schremmer