[OS X TeX] Vanilla LaTeX to XeLaTeX?

Alain Schremmer schremmer.alain at gmail.com
Thu Oct 18 21:33:57 CEST 2007

In an earlier thread, Voisin quoted Rahtz'

> Personally, I gave up on all this ucs.sty/inputenc stuff last year
> and switched to xelatex instead. Now it's native Unicode joy every
> time, instead of endless problems once you stray beyond the latin
> world....
>
> --
> Sebastian Rahtz

As for myself, until I read the above, I never even dreamt of using
anything outside of the latin world. Hey, I know better! (Even
though, as witnessed by my PracTeX piece, I have long been fascinated
by XeLaTeX.)

Joking apart, I have two questions. (The second is probably somewhat
OT but I think the first is appropriate.)

1) Given that I am doing the magnum opus in Vanilla LaTeX (i-
Installed gwtex and TeXShop-Pdftex) with the packages listed below
and with pdf included graphics, how easy would it be to switch to
XeLaTeX?

2) How compatible with the GNU Free Documentation License would be
the use of OS X fonts (presumably proprietary) via XeLaTeX? (Of
course, I should really ask the GNU people.)

Best regards
--schremmer

         \usepackage{pdfsync}

	\usepackage{lmodern}