[OS X TeX] Geometry package, lists and hfill weirdness

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Mon Oct 15 15:34:11 CEST 2007

I ran into a weird (at least to me) problem, and was hoping someone
would have some ideas. Consider the following code:

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage[left=1cm,right=1cm,top=1cm,bottom=1cm]{geometry}
\newcommand{\filltwo}[2]{\par\hfill #1 \hfill {#2} \hfill}
\begin{document}
   \begin{enumerate}
     \item In list:\par
     \hfill Hi \hfill there! \hfill
     \item Also in list:
     \filltwo{Hi}{there!}
   \end{enumerate}
   \par\hfill Hi \hfill there! \hfill
   \filltwo{Hi}{there!}
\end{document}

As the code stands, the last \hfill in both direct hfill attempts and
the first "filltwo" call (i.e. the one in the enumerate) seem to be
eaten up. In other words, all the "there!" except for the very last
one are lined up with the right side of the page.

If on the other hand we comment out the geometry package, then those
hfills work just fine. (still though things are not aligned quite as
I would like them to be).

So two questions:
1. Is this a known behavior of the geometry package, and do you know
of a way to circumvent it?
2. How can I make the \filltwo calls in the enumerate environment
distribute their arguments equidistant in a single line?

In case you're wondering, I'm trying to write a survey.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College