[OS X TeX] dvips

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Oct 15 10:04:29 CEST 2007

Le 15 oct. 07 à 05:38, Theodore Huffmire a écrit :

> I am having trouble with dvips:
>
> dvips -t letter -P pdf paper.dvi -o paper.ps
> moreThis is dvips(k) 5.96 Copyright 2005 Radical Eye Software
> (www.radicaleye.com)
> ' TeX output 2007.10.14:2038' -> paper.ps
>  dvips: ! Couldn't find header file arial.pfb.
> Note that an absolute path or a relative path with .. are denied in
> -R2 mode.
> make: *** [all] Error 1

Two things:

- Your file seems to be needing a font that is not part of MacTeX,
namely arial.pfb. I imagine you are supplying the font yourself,
maybe in the same directory as the document you're typesetting.

- The error message mentions running dvips with option -R2, which is
the strictest one in terms of security. That may be preventing dvips
to read arial.pfb. See page 13 of /Library/TeX/Documentation/texmf-
doc/dvips/dvips.pdf.

Does running dvips with option -R0 change anything? The default
regarding this option has been changed a couple of years ago, and in
particular this prevents dvips from reading files up in the directory
hierarchy, namely to follow up paths starting with ../, and also (I
think) to follow absolute path names.

Hope this helps,

Bruno Voisin