[OS X TeX] Installing new packages

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Oct 8 20:17:46 CEST 2007

Am 08.10.2007 um 17:48 schrieb Phil Trinh:

> Quick question: I'm new to unix so be sure to keep that in mind. I've
> installed MacTeX and I'm happily writing away. However, I'd like to
> ask how one installs new LaTeX packages? When I was on Windows, I had
> a nice MikTeX program to do everything. Now I'm not so sure.

You can use the MiKTeX Package Manager (mpm) here too. You would have
to fetch the sources, configure them, compile them (Developer Tools
from Apple needed), and finally install them as super-user via 'sudo
install'. During the configuration step configure will want to know
where to install the *not binary* MiKTeX packages: /usr/local/texlive/
texmf-local is a good place.

You cannot install new binaries: MS Losedows binaries won't run on
intel based Macs. At times the whole MacTeX DMG file is updated. I
think these updates are restricted to *TeX code, the binaries might
still be those from TeX Live 2007. A bit more often the TeX related
applications are updated.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Math illiteracy affects 7 out of every 5 Americans.