[OS X TeX] Web hosting etc

Bernhard Barkow bb at creativeeyes.at
Sun Oct 7 09:40:14 CEST 2007

Hi,

On 2007-10-07, at 03:36, Ross Moore wrote:
>>> Exactly; but if it is just for a few files and you don't fear the
>>> command line, the plain simple ftp program from the command line
>>> is IMHO the easiest way to do things (repeat: as long as there
>>> are only a few files to transfer).
>>
>> Oh I wouldn't say that. ftp or sftp are very efficient
>> applications for transferring files, large or small, small in
>> number or large and even whole sites or complete directory trees.
>> And it is particularly useful if you find you have to tunnel into
>> a server with telnet or ssh.
>
>  scp  is even easier, in my experience, as a command-line tool.
> It allows for usual shell wildcards and pattern-matching,
> and has all the security of  ssh .
>
> Once you know the target location, it takes just a single command
> to move all the files that match a given pattern.
>
> If you don't know the target, then use an  ssh  connection to
> log-in and determine it --- this is similar to using  stfp .
> If there is a need to work with the transferred files,
> then you may have needed to log-in anyway.

I completely agree with you - the only drawback is that for this to
work you need to have ssh access, which is in my experience rather
uncommon (unless you are the admin or maybe in an intranet). Alain
Schremmer did not reply to this yet, but I suspect that his questions
are about uploading to an ftp server provided by a publisher; in this
case I guess all ssh-based options are not too likely to be working.
But let's wait until Monday, when he renders his request more precisely…

Bernhard