[OS X TeX] Problem with tetex/gwtex and fink

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Wed Oct 3 18:11:08 CEST 2007

Folks,

One solution to these problems is to install the actual teTeX
distribution in Fink or MacPorts. This works because the TeX
Distribution data structure installed by MacTeX recognizes both the
Fink and MacPorts teTeX distributions. But read on before you do this,
because earlier versions of MacTeX didn't install this data, and I
don't believe Gerben installs it.

Note that Fink adds /sw/bin to the start of PATH; MacPorts adds /opt/
local/bin to the start of PATH. Thus if you install one of their
teTeXs and then call TeX from the command line, you'll get teTeX. But
this problem is easily fixed. Find the hidden file in your home
directory where PATH is modified; often it is .profile. After that
modification is made by Fink or MacPorts, add /usr/texbin to the start
of PATH.

You can tell if you have this TeX Distribution data structure by going

	/Library/TeX/Distributions

and checking to see if Fink-teTeX.texdist and MacPorts-teTeX.texdist
are present.

If your current data structure does not have entries for Fink and
MacPorts, the easiest way I know to upgrade is to install BasicTeX from

	www.tug.org/mactex/morepackages.html

This will install a small 39 meg TeX distribution to /usr/local/
texlive/2007basic which you can later remove if you wish, but it will
also install the required TeX dist data.

Dick Koch
koch at math.uoregon.edu