[OS X TeX] BibDesk: Problem with 'compiling' references

Michael Yudelson myudelson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 03:22:56 CEST 2007

I would expect BibDesk to "inherit" all the fields from the parent
item and produce precisely one formatted reference (be ir abbr,
apalike or other style that I choose).
Well, at least that's how crossref field should behave (from reading
BibTeX manual).
Can that be arranged?

I did try several styles in Preview preferences (abbr, nabbr,
apalike), same result.

Googling didn;t help either.

-m

On 10/1/07, Adam R. Maxwell <amaxwell at mac.com> wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2007, at 16:15, Adam M. Goldstein wrote:
>
> > Second, there is a BibDesk user's list that is more likely to reach
> > those who know about this and also less likely to trouble those here
> > who aren't interested in BD or BT, although people here are probably
> > not very likely to be bothered.
>
> BibDesk is very much on-topic for this list, or at least it used to be
> (it's at least Mac-specific, unlike a lot of the traffic here these
> days).
>
> > On Oct 1, 2007, at 5:09 PM, Michael Yudelson wrote:
> >
> >> I'm using BibDesk and have a problem with exporting references. I
> >> have
> >> a number of "proceedings" items in my library that are
> >> cross-referenced by "inproceedings" papers.
> >>
> >> Whenever I try to "Preview" or "Copy Drag" improceeddings items it
> >> results in 2(two) references instead of one.
>
> This is normal for (some?) BibTeX styles, I believe; you get a
> separate citation for the parent and child reference(s).  Have you
> tried changing the style in BibDesk's Preview preferences?
>
> >> Since my BibDesk version
> >> is up to date and the BibTeX version as well, I'd expect it to handle
> >> crossref field correctly.
>
> BibDesk does handle the crossref field correctly, as far as we (its
> developers) know.  If you can describe exactly what you expect it to
> do, answering your question will be easier.
>
> --
> adam

Michael V. Yudelson,
PhD candidate
School of Information Science, University of Pittsburgh.
Email: mvy3 at pitt.edu   Tel: +1 (412) 624-9437