[OS X TeX] Leopard Quick Look & TeX

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 30 22:29:57 CET 2007

On 30 nov 2007, at 22:16, Mark Eli Kalderon wrote:

> On Nov 30 2007, at 20:36, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>>

>> For mee it seems to work, and I never save utf-8 with a BOM. It
>> would be a good idea if text editors read and set this file
>> attribute.
>>

> BBEdit can set and remove BOM. BUT it is unnecessary and undesirable
> to do so. It is unnecessary since UTF-8 can be recognized without
> it. It is undesirable since many *nix utilities choke on it.

I'm sorry: I never write the BOM. Obviously, because pdflatex will
choke on it. Sorry for the typo.

I don't know how BBedit keeps track of the text encoding: probably a
lot of heuristics, special markers (Emacs style comments and such). It
may even keep a list of files with the encoding somewhere in the
application support or preferences.

Maarten Sneep