[OS X TeX] \includegraphics question

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Fri Nov 30 07:21:13 CET 2007

Hi Bruno,

On 30/11/2007, at 4:51 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 30 nov. 07 à 00:57, brian at pongonova.net a écrit :
>
>> But I digress:  Your comment led me to digging deeper into the
>> logfile, and what I was missing was that the log was being
>> overwritten
>> (as mentioned by another poster) because pdfeTeX is being run
>> *twice*:
>> Once to generate a .dvi (which, in turn, is displayed by gs) and once
>> to generate a .pdf.  The second run overwrites the logfile, so it
>> wasn't apparent what was going on.
>
> This is really weird: why would pdfeTeX be run first in DVI mode,
> and second in PDF mode?

With a linked viewer, running under X windows, this is
a (semi-)sensible strategy.
However, it'd be better to have a linked pdf-viewer,
rather than a dvi-viewer (with embedded postscript inserts),
when the engine is to be pdfTeX anyway.

What does  X-emacs  do with editable displays,
and imported graphics?

> BTW, this is something specific to recent TeXLive versions: there
> no longer separate programs, one tex TeX generating DVI output only
> (converted afterwards from DVI to PS by dvips and from PS to PDF by
> GhostScript) and the other pdfTeX generating PDF output only. The
> default is now pdfTeX, which either runs in PDF mode to produce PDF
> output directly, or in DVI mode to produce DVI output. From the man
> page of pdftex:

Cheers,

	Ross

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au