[OS X TeX] how to install NOWEB?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Nov 29 17:50:26 CET 2007

There's a page with some instructions for Panther <http://demexp.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=fr:notes_de_compilation_pour_mac
 >. It's in French but that shouldn't be a problem : it's just a
collection of values for variables to edit in Makefile.

I haven't tested anything, but the instructions adapted to recent OS X
TeX would translate to:

- In Terminal (the complexity of the following path comes from the
necessity of the instructions to be valid for either gwTeX or MacTeX):

	cd /Library/TeX/Distributions/.DefaultTeX/Contents/TexmfLocal/tex/latex
	mkdir noweb

It's possible a sudo will be necessary before mkdir.

- Edit the Makefile as follows:

	CC=gcc
	LIBSRC=awk
	BIN=/usr/local/bin/
	LIB=/usr/local/lib/noweb
	MAN=/usr/local/man/noweb
	TEXINPUTS=/Library/TeX/Distributions/.DefaultTeX/Contents/TexmfLocal/
tex/latex
	ELISP=/dev/null

- Comment out the lines containing ICONC and ICONT.

- In Terminal again (I imagine you have to navigate beforehand back to
the noweb/src directory where the Makefile resides):

	sudo make all install
	sudo mktexlsr

Again, this is absolutely untested by me.

MacPorts (formerly DarwinPorts) and Fink may have prebuilt packages
for noweb, I'm not sure. Browsing rapidly through MacPorts's portfiles
directory, it seems noweb isn't available but a similar nuweb is.

Bruno Voisin