[OS X TeX] Using gtamacfonts on Leopard

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Thu Nov 22 11:49:22 CET 2007

On 22 Nov 2007, at 10:16 am, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Actually the problem lies, exactly as you said, in the font itself
> and in the encoding files in /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.gwtex/fonts/enc/
> dvips/gtamacfonts/:
>
> - The enc files refer to the glyph ä under the name a_dieresis, and
> similarly for the other glyphs a_tilde etc. This glyph is expected
> at position 228.
>
> - Opening the file HoeflerText.ttf created when installing the TeX
> i-Package under Tiger, and corresponding to version 5.0d7e2 of the
> font, the glyph ä is indeed at position 228, with name a_dieresis.
> Many thanks to Herb Schulz for sending off-list a copy of this file
> yesterday night.
>
> - Opening the file /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.gwtex/fonts/truetype/
> gtamacfonts/hoefler/HoeflerText.ttf created when installing the TeX
> i-Package under Leopard, and corresponding to version 6.0d7e1 of
> the font, the glyph is still at position 228, but its name is now
> adieresis (without the underscore).
>
> Screenshot at <http://homepage.mac.com/bvoisin/.cv/bvoisin/
> Sites/.Public/Hoefler.png-zip.zip>.
>
> Thus it seems that in the version of Hoefler shipped with Leopard,
> all underscores have vanished from glyph names. Probably a short-
> term fix for gtamacfonts (untested) would be to edit manually the
> encoding files inside /usr/local/gwTeX/texmf.gwtex/fonts/enc/dvips/
> gtamacfonts/, to suppress the underscores.

Yes, I expect that would work.

The name "adieresis" is actually the "more standard" name for this
glyph (e.g., see the Adobe Glyph List), so this looks like a
deliberate correction rather than a Leopard bug; I wouldn't expect
Apple to revert to the "a_dieresis" name in future.

Software that uses TrueType fonts as intended, mapping Unicode
characters to glyphs via the 'cmap' table, would not be affected by
this; you're only seeing a problem because of the somewhat roundabout
procedure involving font conversion and remapping via the glyph
names. That's a PostScript-based view of fonts, where glyph names are
the primary keys into the collection of glyphs; TrueType doesn't work
that way, and the glyph names are secondary.

JK