[OS X TeX] LaTeX presentations in full screen - avoiding Adobe Reader

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Nov 19 16:00:00 CET 2007

Le 19 nov. 07 à 15:39, Themis Matsoukas a écrit :

> On Nov 19, 2007, at 9:22 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:
>
>> Talking of bad citizenship, how do you remove acrobat from being
>> the default web browser? On my Acrobat 7.0 Pro, under preferences/
>> internet, the tab "Display PDF using Acrobat"  and "check browser
>> settings when starting Acrobat" are both grayed out. According to
>> the online help, I should be able to change these settings.
>
> Answering my own question: it seems that manually removing the
> Acrobat plugin from Library/internet does the trick.

Not quite:

- Every time Acrobat will be updated (using Adobe Updater for
example), all "self-heal components" (mostly the Adobe PDF plugin, the
PDFMaker add-on to Microsoft Office, and the Adobe PDF virtual
printer) will be reinstalled without asking.

- Every now and then Acrobat checks whether these components are
present, and if so asks whether they should be reinstalled. Once I
think I was offered a check box "Don't ask again", but now I can't
find it anymore.

- The above check can be initiated manually from within Acrobat, using
Help > Repair Acrobat Installation.

You can see what the self-heal components are by Ctrl-clicking the
Acrobat application, and navigating to

/Applications/Adobe Acrobat 8 Professional/Adobe Acrobat
Professional.app/Contents/MacOS/SelfHealFiles

(or similar for Adobe Acrobat 7 or Adobe Reader).

Bruno Voisin