[OS X TeX] Leopard 10.5.1

Berend Hasselman bhh at xs4all.nl
Sat Nov 17 08:39:43 CET 2007

On 16 Nov 2007, at 22:58, Robert Bruner wrote:

> Berend said:
>

>> I'm glad that stealth mode is enabled; it appears that  some machine
>> is attempting to connect to TCP.
>> This seems to be happening quite regularly.
>
> What sort of monitoring tools do you use to see this?
> In my old Linux days, I just kept a window running
> tail -f /var/adm/messages (if I recall correctly) and
> saw many login attempts.  But that was pretty crude
> and Mac OS X seems to log things differently.

I got there doing

System Preferences, Security, Firewall, Advances, Open Log

This starts Console and it shows you the log of the Apple firewall.
The log apparently is /var/log/appfirewall.log

You can also start Console directly.

Yesterday I saw a lot of the following

Nov 16 22:33:36 Macintosh Firewall[39]: Stealth Mode connection
attempt to TCP 10.0.0.1:53295 from 64.154.81.161:80

I'm sure that real Unix and Linux people can come up with more
interesting stuff.

I  use http://www.grc.com/default.htm to test the firewall.

Berend