[OS X TeX] Strange error

Morten Høgholm morten.hoegholm at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 23:54:00 CET 2007

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 23:41:30 +0100, Ross Moore wrote:

Hello Ross,

> What I don't understand is the subtle difference that using
>   \begingroup ... \endgroup  makes in this context.
> How is it different to  { ... } ?   or  \bgroup ... \egroup  ?
>
> Most curious.

And rightly so! :-)  For some reason, DEK decided to implement {...} to
act as a shorthand for \mathord{...} in math mode. And so nice TeX
programmers like Didier Verna get cought by it sometimes when all they
want is grouping but they wind up with more than they wished for. \bgroup
and \egroup act as { and } in this case and produce an Ord.

Somewhat related are the well-known (for those who know too much!)
   \iffalse {\fi \iffalse`}=0 \fi
   \iffalse`{=0 }\fi
when it comes to opening special groups in alignments without accidentally
introducing extra math atoms.

Cheers,
--
Morten